Thursday, May 25, 2006

Today is your Birthday......da na na na na....

My baby is one. I can hardly even believe it! You'll have to excuse the trip down memory lane and the nostalgia talk. But I really just can't believe a whole year has come and gone! ( sniff sniff )

One year ago I looked like this:

Then this ( I guess if I can post a picture of my husband's split pants, I can post a drug induced state of euphoria picture of me):

Then he looked like this:







And now he's grown up to look like this:

And this:

And this:

And I pretty much look the same.

So we had a party. Any excuse for a party, right? We threw him a "Happy First 'Bee-day' Party".

This was the cake I made:



Luckily, I decided to decorate most of it the night before since the pipe to our water softener decided to spring a leak....Memorial Day weekend....when customer service at GE is apparently closed. And the only human we could talk to at some mom and pop repair shop told us they were surprised because that part doesn't usually break. ( thanks. ) So, until my husband could get a "band aid" to fix it temporarily which took about four hours the morning of the party, I would never have been able to finish it in time. But, we got water back up and running, thank goodness, 'cause there were some people in our household who were in serious need of a shower. ( Like me )

Good times.

Each "first birthday" my kids have, I can't help but think that there is some correlation between the way the child eats their piece of cake and the glimpse into their future personality.

My first daughter would hardly touch the cupcake. She just used her finger and very daintily, picked at the cake. She always has been very careful and methodical about things.

My next son was cautious at first and then once he realized the cake actually tasted pretty good, it was a matter of seconds before it was smeared all over his face. And clothes. And mushed in his ears and diaper. He definately has his moments where he likes to test us with his defiance and head-strong behavior. He often will say "I don't like that" without even trying it first. Then after some coaxing, he'll try it and odds are the next thing out of his mouth is, "I LIKE it!" Of course, it could be because he's three....

Erik was a sucker. He sucked the frosting right off the cupcake. He didn't really care much for the cake part itself. Just the frosting. Maybe that means you'll be sucked in by his sweet, charming ways? Either that, or he'll be a brown-noser.

He has yet to really play with any of the toys he received. For some reason baby toys appeal to almost 4 and 6 year old children more. Luckily, he hasn't figured out yet that he's supposed to care.

On to a new year of milestones! ( And four more birthdays in the next 3 months! )

3 comments:

Elozia Marie said...

What a TOTAL CUTIE! Happy Birthday Erik!

I like the method of cake-eating therory.

Andrea said...

That beehive cake is awsome!! Happy Birthday!

Jane said...

What a cutie, I can't beleive he is one already either.

And loved the cake, I am impressed.