Thursday, December 06, 2007

You better watch out! You better not cry!

Better not pout
I'll tell you why..........

Santa's watching you.

If you want to get your kids to behave even if it's just for a couple of weeks, then you need to try my new technique. It has worked like a charm for me the last few days. Call it guilt, label it manipulation. Whatever. I call it genius.


Here's what you do. Send a letter to your kids from "Santa". Be sure to add a little tid bit of info that only your child would think they knew. Like, "I saw you smack your brother yesterday with the toy" or "Maybe next time you take a bath you shouldn't pour water all over the floor to make a slip and slide. That is something that is best done outside."

So, here's my letter:

Dear Lauren,
Merry Christmas! The elves and I are very busy getting ready for Christmas, and I’m really excited that I’m going to be coming to visit your home in a few weeks.

Have you been a good girl this year? I’ve been making a list and checking it twice, and it says that you haven’t been naughty, but have been very nice. I’m very proud of you. Santa Claus likes bringing toys to little children who listen to their parents, are nice and polite to other people, and do their best in school.

Mrs. Claus has been baking Christmas cookies for all the elves so they have plenty of energy to build lots of toys. One of my elves told me that you want a bike for Christmas, and I’m going to do my best to bring you that or something that you really like.

Rudolph and all the reindeer are very happy that we’re going to be bringing you some presents this year. Rudolph says he would really like it if you would leave out some carrots and cookies for us before you go to bed on Christmas Eve because we all get hungry delivering so many toys all around the world.

Have a very merry Christmas!


Santa Claus

P.S. I'm glad you and Jack are enjoying your new little brother and being such a big help to your parents.



Then enjoy watching your kids spend hours writing a letter back to Santa and wondering how in the world he knew they had a new baby brother! Last night Lauren said, "Mom! You know why I took my shower and am brushing my teeth? Because I want to stay on Santa's 'nice' list!"

Brilliance. Now sit back. Relax and enjoy the cooperation and quiet. If only for a day.

4 comments:

AZ Karen said...

Man, I could've used this idea several years ago...maybe it will still work on one of them.

Kyle Is Neat said...

This is a GREAT idea!!! We are going to have try this for our kids.

shauna said...

You are a clever mom! I hope you keep those letters. Give them to your kids when the fly the coop, they will adore them!

Lorena said...

Yeah, nothing's working here, and I am not trying too hard. They've started to tell each other they are on Santa's naughty list...that's good enough for me!

And, that D-Land trip I have had planned since March for the week of Christmas? That trip that I have kept secret in hopes of not having to hear the countdown from the terrific trio? Well, I started to try to tell Elena that sometimes Santa sends kids on trips for Christmas instead of giving them toys. She told me, "I want the toys." LOVELY! Here's to an awesome week with Mickey!