Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Baby's first words

Ian got the boot Monday from Mommy and Daddy's room. He is now in the crib in the nursery. You may ask WHY we are just putting him in his own room when he's going to be a year old next month.

I'll tell you why. We're lazy.


It's just too easy to keep him in the pack and play at the end of our bed instead of up a flight of stairs and down a hall. It also makes the middle of the night feedings easier. ( Yes, we are still doing that too ). Remember.....L.A.Z.Y.

I put a dark sheet up in his window so his new room is nice and dark. His afternoon naps have been a solid three hours! Do you know how much you can do in three hours!?! Uninterrupted?!? Can you even comprehend the magnitude? I had time to exercise AND shower.

It has been Heaven.

So today, I turned on the baby monitor to be sure to hear him if he woke up. A couple of hours into his nap, I heard some rustling and stirring in the monitor. I thought he was getting ready to wake up. Then I heard this........

"Mama! Mum Mum Mum. Mamamama....."

Oh my goodness! I heard my baby's first words! He's a genius! An Einstein in the making! I started to calculate in my head how much a Harvard or Stanford education would set us back. What if he's one of those who will graduate from High School at 12, College at 16 and Med School at 21? He could totally be a Doogie Howser! I loved watching Doogie! I thought how amazing it was that he said his first words before he even started to walk. Next thing I know, he'll be asking me to check his proofs of the Pythagorean theorem or type his thesis all before he's even potty trained! Am I really prepared for that?

I was utterly ( so to speak ) amazed to hear with such clarity the words my child prodigy was saying.

That is until I heard other voices in the background. Voices that didn't belong to any of MY kids. Then I heard a woman's voice. Again....not mine.


I really need to switch the baby monitor frequency once in a while. Oh well. I guess he can still go to Harvard someday.

6 comments:

Janell said...

Hi - I am blog surfing off of the LDS women blog sites and got lots of laughs from yours. With three small children of my own, I live for laughs. Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

ROFL! Whoops!

Blackeyedsue said...

LOVE IT! How fun that you got to hear it first hand...even via baby moniter!!!

Rachelle said...

LOL! What a great post!

Lorena said...

Just imagine the fun things we heard on baby monitors when we lived in the rabbit hutches at BYU! Makes you not want to have a baby monitor.

shauna said...

Classic! Knowing his mom and dad, though, start saving your pennies!