Friday, March 07, 2008

A new meaning of "Brokeback"

Jack brought home a flier earlier in the week about a Cake Decorating contest his school is having at a Rodeo fundraising something or other tomorrow. At first, I was tempted to enter but then realized we wouldn't even be able to go so I decided to forget about it. That is until my husband encouraged me to do it.
So I cowgirl'd up and did it.
There are supposed to be prizes for the best Rodeo theme, Best school spirit, Most creative etc. I tried to make something that would put us in as many categories as possible in order to hopefully win something. So, I went with a cowboy boot and a Rattler ( school mascot and school colors ) coming out of it.


Two days, seven cakes, two batches of frosting, a gazillion toothpicks, and a huge disaster of a neglected house later.......

Unless the prize is a seven day cruise for two........
I'm left wondering if it was really worth it.


Like was the time it took to do this:





Really worth this:













Or was working on this:













Worth the mess like this:

Or was I doing this:


Instead of preventing this: ( that is pieces of fondant that the two year old left on the oven for the baby to spend a hour picking off and eating )


Was two days of my life doing this:


Worth neglecting two days worth of doing this:

Jury is still out by the way. All I feel like I have to show for all of the effort is a hand still stained with red food coloring, a weekends worth of house cleaning and an aching back.


"Don't worry about bitin' off more than you can chew. Your mouth is probably a whole lot bigger'n you think. " Texas Bix Bender

6 comments:

Company EIGHT said...

That is an AMAZING cake! Seriously, great job! Oh, and LOL at your title!!

Mike and Erika said...

Great cake, Lisa! I love it!

Anonymous said...

you rock! great job on the cake! I hope you win that cruise... or a free maid for a week... or something. lol

Mom not Mum (Sandy) said...

wow that is way cool!!

Lorena said...

Hey, if Kirk encouraged you to do the cake, he should have done the housework!

It looked awesome. Did anyone eat it?

shauna said...

Totally worth it. I love that you can show the messes. Love,love, love it!