Saturday, March 11, 2006

143

That's how many days it's been since we've seen rain in these parts.

Coincidentally, it's also how long it's been since I forgot that the car needs new windshield wiper blades. Which I'm sure will be forgotten again until the next rain storm. It's how long it's been since I forgot that I don't even own a raincoat and should probably get one for these occassions. It's also how long it's been since the car was washed last. It's nice how a couple of hours in the rain can take the bird doo doo right off!

It took 140 days and 6 hours before we figured out that we have a leak in our patio roof of our new home that we moved into in October. Which during these last 6 hours has now soaked through the wall in our bay window in the kitchen. It took 10 minutes to look up to see if the new home insurance covers roof leaks.

It doesn't.

And since this is the first rainstorm since moving to our new house, it is also the first time we learned that one of the two only roads out of the neighborhood gets blocked off because of flooding. I suspected it would be the case since I know there are 2 large dips in that old road and there is a yellow warning sign that says "Do Not Enter When Flooded". Of course, my kids think the sign says "Roller Coaster Ahead." The one remaining road is pretty much only for those with a 4 wheel drive and a wing and a prayer. Let's just say that if I was Catholic, I'd probably be inclined to say a few "Hail Mary's" before attempting to drive throught it.

So what does that tell us? Well, I guess we either need to get us something with a 4 wheel drive or else get a canoe.

Either that or we better get cracking on that food storage.

10 comments:

Heather said...

LOL...you crack me up! The first car I purchased I owned for 6 months before Seattle's rainy season hit and I found out it leaked! I had to drive around for the next 6 months with 3 inches of water in the back of my car!!!

Rachelle said...

Oh sorry about the leak! Um, I'd invest in a canoe. Good luck with that!

QueenMeadow said...

Yay for rain! but bummer about the leak and the crappy road, that really does suck. Maybe you should homeschool and never leave the house? hahahaha.

emlouisa said...

Wow, sucky! I'd get a speedboat though, not a canoe.

Lee said...

It is good to have rain, but I am so sorry about the leak! YIKES! Time for the boat.. but then the dry spell will hit again. Good luck!

Lei said...

Yikes, who knew rain could bring so much misery, huh? Good luck!

Alicia said...

Um....break out that real estate contract and find out if the sellers disclosed that fun little leak...

Melzie said...

They won't cover the leak? That's INSANE! DO the canoe-- much more fun!

lackrik said...

Well....we called the builder ( hint: starts with a K and ends in a B ) and apparently this leak has happened before. Atleast the guy that came today to tear out the bad parts said he was out here before for the same problem! He even showed me the painted frame which they did the last time to treat for mold!!! What the? Funny none of this was mentioned in the disclosure agreement from the previous owners! Some roofers are supposed to come today to "fix" the problem that wasn't "fixed" to begin with. Thank heavens they are even going to fix it. What a mess!!!

Pamela said...

I'm sooo sorry!! My dh designed a retaining wall for 2 familys in our ward and was joking that he hoped he designed them ok