Friday, March 17, 2006

Irony or dumb luck?

I heard the Alanis Morissette song "Ironic" on the radio the other day. The chorus goes something like this:

It's like rain on your wedding day.
It's a free ride when you already paid.
It's the good advice that you just didn't take.
Who would have thought? It figures.....


I wouldn't exactly say Alanis is a literary genius. If we were talking about a literary genius who wrote about irony, I'd refer you to Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet or Macbeth.
But in honor of St. Patrick's Day and everything "lucky", I thought I'd point out how ironic it is that a song about irony is really just a song about dumb, stupid luck. A fluke. A coup.
A big bummer if you will......

It rained on our wedding day. Everyone at the reception told me that it was good luck to have rain on your wedding day. Of course, it could have just been an attempt to make the bride feel better. I wouldn't say it was ironic but rather dumb stupid luck that one of the 5 days a year that it rains here, it happened to rain that day. We did get married on April 1st which might actually be a better explanation.

If I was dumb enough to pay for a ride that could have been free, well then that would be my own stupid fault for not checking to see if I could get it for free in the first place.

I've been known to not take good advice as well. I wouldn't say it was ironic. Prideful or pretentious maybe. But not ironic.

Ironic might be something like what I experienced last night. It was the first night that all three kids were in bed and asleep by 9pm. Thinking I could get a good extra hour or two of sleep, I went straight to bed myself. Of course, I tossed and turned until 4:30am. That's what I would call "tragic irony".
And ironically enough, it was during that time that I thought of the topic for this blog.
Who would have thought? It figures.......

4 comments:

Lee said...

I hate it when I go to bed early and I am awake forever. It stinks!!
Good post Lisa!

emlouisa said...

I totally agree. Dumb luck. And I hate that song, it's totally stupid.

Rachelle said...

I loved that song growing up. Because that is so my life - ironic.

Alicia said...

LOL on the tragic irony...

I like that song too...so much that my college roomies and i made up our own lyrics to the song..