Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Lucky number 7

Scratch.....scratch.....

That itching is of the seven year variety.

Saturday, April 1st is our 7th Anniversary. Hard to believe! It's harder to believe we've been together for ten. Even harder? We've known each other for 16! Where does time go?


I was thinking about what kind of gifts we could give each other. So I looked up "the list" to see what you get someone for a 7th Anniversary. Ready for this? Wool or copper. Now living in about the hottest state in the country, a wool sweater wouldn't be the "coolest" of gifts. And copper? I heard that people with joint ailments feel better if they wear a copper bracelet. But that would just force me to admit I'm getting old and I'm not ready to go there yet.

Atleast it's not last years gift idea. Iron. Yes. Iron. Iron suppliments? A horseshoe? An actual iron perhaps? Which reminds me.....my husband was forwarned before we even got married that I. Don't. Do. Ironing. And he married me anyways inspite of his daily ridicule by his co-workers. So, could you imagine if he actually followed the Anniversary ettiquite and gave me "an iron" last year? Can you even imagine? I would like to think that men would do better thinking of something on their own than following that kind of guideline. A last minute box of candy and some flowers is a far better choice than giving the one you love an iron. Or suppliments. Or a horseshoe.

That's why, as far as I'm concerned, every Anniversary should be "gold and or any other precious metal or sparkly gem". Forget the clock or aluminum. Just keep it simple. Keep it easy to remember. Say it with me now....."Kay Jewelers". You can walk right on in the store and know that you could buy anything from there and call it good.

So, in honor of our Anniversary, I'd like to remind my husband of the reasons why I married him. In 7th Anniversary style:

7 reasons why I love you:

1. Your quirkiness

2. Your brains

3. Your humor

4. You love Coke products as much as I do

5. I rarely cook meat and you love me anyways

6. We have a lot of the same dreams

7. How you calm me and ease my fears

7 things I love that you have given me:

1. Lauren

2. Jack

3. Erik

4. A beautiful home

5. Just about anything I ask for

6. Yellow roses for my birthday and Anniversaries

7. My wedding ring and bands

7 things you have taught me:

1. Patience

2. Love

3. Respect

4. Commitment

5. That no matter how much you try......I will never like sushi

6. That it's ok to have "me" times

7. To be selfless

7 fondest memories:

1. December 23, 1998. The day you proposed at the Phoenician

2. April 1, 1999. Our Wedding day

3. The birth of our children

4. Our family Disneyland trip in February 2005

5. Our Anniversary cruises

6. Honeymoon in Hawaii

7. April 1, 2000. Moving into our first home

7 saddest memories:

1. Lauren breaking her arm.....twice when she was 2

2. Our miscarriage

3. Losing my Grandma

4. Moving out of our first home we built and loved

5. September 11, 2001

6. Losing your job the same week we were closing on our new house and when I was 6 months pregnant. Major stress!

7. Sending a child to school for the first time and realizing that they are growing up too fast

7 of our funnest or funniest memories:

1. Helicopter ride in Hawaii and the video to prove it

2. Taking Lauren all the way to Disneyworld when she was 3 just to hear her scream "I wanna go home! I wanna go home!" during every ride including "It's a Small World". She did like the airplane ride and the "Up and down nay nays" aka the carousel. It was a good thing she was "free"

3. Flying on a whim to New York City and being in Time's Square with a million of our closest friends for the December 31, 1999 New Year's Eve party

4. Walks down Mill Ave.

5. Hanging out in New Orleans

6. Winning the "twist" contest on our first cruise together

7. Seeing the excitement in Lauren and Jack at Disneyland

7 things we look forward to:

1. Retirement

2. Watching our children grow up

3. The time when you won't have to travel so much

4. Our "Golden" Anniversary

5. Taking trips together

6. Uninterrupted sleep

7. Being together forever

The last seven years have been full of joy and happiness with a little sadness here and there. I think of all of the memories we have made and the ones that lie ahead for us.

My husband keeps asking me if I have that "itch" yet. I keep reassuring him that the only "itch" I have is the kind that is itching for the next 7 years to be as happy as the first.

HaPpY Anniversary!

16 comments:

Rachelle said...

What an absolutely awesome post! I love it. Congrats on 7 years!

smart mama said...

that is a great post- we are comign up on 7- may 8th!!

emlouisa said...

How sweet! We have been married 7 years too! How time flies!

Alicia said...

Great post! Yay for anniversaries!

lackrik said...

'99 must have been a big year for weddings! lol ;)

Unknown said...

How sweet! What a great idea! I'm stealing it....

Pamela said...

Congrats!!!

Pamela said...

Congrats!!!! I was married in 99 too

ShelahBooksIt said...

I got chills reading that. I need to get cracking on my anniversary post. You have a lucky guy!

Meemer said...

Happy Anniversary! I loved your post. I think that is a good idea to do every year

Lei said...

Love this! PS - don't do ironing either. :)

Stacy said...

What a great post! My 6th is next Friday... I'd better not get an iron either! lol But I LOVE your idea... can I steal it?

Andrea said...

how sweet! happy anniversary!

Kermit~the~Frog said...

What a fun thing to do! Our seventh anniversary is in June, I'll be back here to steal your meme.

Jane said...

Congratulations! Time really does fly when you are having fun.

I enjoyed your post.

Lee said...

We are approaching our 7 year this summer! Time sure flies. I really liked your post!!