Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Got snow?

Since my husband went out of town on business over my daughter's spring break ( Yeah. That wasn't a good conversation when I found that out ), I decided to venture out and take the kids up to the mountains to play in the new fallen snow. This was a big deal for me for a couple of reasons:

1.. I have never so much as even gone to Walmart by myself with three kids in tow before.

2. I grew up back east and remember shoveling my fair share of snow in below freezing temperatures while looking like the Stay Puffed Marshmallow Man. Been there. Done that. Bought the t-shirt. I'd rather take three kids to Walmart.


Maybe I got a bad attitude about the snow from back in my single days. One New Year's Eve, a bunch of my friends and I decided it would be fun to go snow camping. "Thought" is the key word here. What on earth were we thinking? I had 100 layers of clothes and blankets on me and I swore all night as I layed wide awake that I was going to freeze a slow, bitter -cold death. It was the kind of cold that makes your teeth hurt. So cold, that in the middle of the night when I needed to go to the bathroom, I actually contemplated just using my sleeping bag because I could handle the humiliation more than the freezing cold. Funny thing was that my husband was there to share in the experience with me. But little did I know that 10 years later we'd be dating let alone getting married. It was one of those experiences we will talk about when we want to drive a point home to our children about not doing stupid things. That story and one about Co2 bombs.

But I digress......
It is nice to live where we do because if I wanted Jack Frost to nip at my toes, I know I just have to drive an hour to do so. Otherwise, my idea of "winter" is a chilly 70 degrees, a windbreaker and sipping hot chocolate because I WANT to not because I HAVE to.

So, we dusted off the "winter" coats, scrounged around for some hats and gloves ( could only find one pair so poor Jack used Erik's socks! ), packed some snacks and extra clothes, timed the drive during Erik's nap time, said a little prayer and off we went.








Erik had never seen snow before. I don't think he was real impressed about it either.
Every picture I took of him, he had his tongue sticking out.

There's snow buddy like a Snow Buddy!

Like snowflakes....no two Angels are alike:

The Gang:

We had a fun time. We made snow angels and had lunch. We played "hide and seek" and had snowball fights. Jack never did quite figure out that when big sister throws a snowball at you, you should throw one back. Not run around screaming and crying. When it was time to go, the kids were ready. Jack kept mumbling something about "I miss home."

How does that saying go? Oh yeah. "It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there."

7 comments:

QueenMeadow said...

What a nice mom you are!! I hate snow too, hate it I tell you! And yeah, I live in Utah :P

emlouisa said...

Looks like you had a great time! What a fun memory for your kids.

Rachelle said...

Such cute pics! Looks like a ton of fun. I hate snow too. Can't wait to move away from it one day.

Lei said...

The pics are so cute... definitely a good mommy move!

Kermit~the~Frog said...

What a fun time! I love the way a baby can just take snow in stride. "No biggie, mom. What else you got?"

Stacy said...

This is why I moved to WA!... ok, not really. But it looks like you all had a GREAT time!

Lee said...

You are a great Mommy! Looks like you had a great time!