Monday, October 15, 2007

What our little house flip has taught us....

I used to watch WAY too many of those home improvement shows. "Flip this", "Flipping Out", "Flipping on a budget", "Flippity flip flip flip". You name it.....I watched it. I was obsessed. I even had them set on the DVR to record those 3AM shows for later viewing enjoyment.


It was fun to watch those kinds of shows until it came time for us to do it ourselves. I'm wiser now to the miracles of turning a house around in a 30 minute TV show. And "flip" has taken on a whole new meaning. It's a word that as of late, has been used more often as a Mormon version of a swear word than for referencing a TV show.


Now that our journey is coming to a much anticipated end, I thought I'd share some things we learned throughout the whole process:



I should own stock in the company that makes Liquid Nails.

I'll miss counting 4 "Activity points" each time I went over and did work. Now I might actually have to exercise.

Tile in our new house is very much perminant.

Screws don't hold a heavy metal planter box in stucco very well.

Electricity should be turned off PRIOR to installing a light fixture.

Black Sharpies make good floor "fillers".

You get to a point where you find yourself saying, "Eh. So what if those baseboards/trim/bookshelves are crooked. We aren't the ones who will be living here."

My Bissell Carpet cleaner can do just as good a job as paying a "professional".

It's never ever a good idea to have an open can of paint within a two mile radius of a roaming toddler.

Craigslist ROCKS!

Joint Compound is my friend.

And my biggest lesson learned?........


I don't ever want to flippin' do this again.

3 comments:

shauna said...

Since you are "missing" your activity points, I have a few projects that would get you more points than you ever dreamed of! Flip! Then I wouldn't be able to count them for myself, never mind.

Mom not Mum (Sandy) said...

LOL Makes me not want to do any of that either.

Lorena said...

Oh, come on, you know you want to come over and do some projects at my house!

And hey, activity points, your a mom, your whole day is full of activity points!