Monday, September 10, 2007

Lauren's new "secret"

Lauren came home and told me she was in a "secret" club at school. Curious, I asked who else is in your club? Does your club have a name? When does your club meet? Are there dues involved? Secret handshakes or hand jive? Will I need to supply yet another snack?

She mentioned three of her friends are in this "secret" club and that they meet during recess.


Then she went on to tell me the other "secret" things they do in this "secret" club.


Evidently, they have computers in this "secret" club complete with passwords so that they can email people. She couldn't remember who exactly they email just that they can if they wanted to. She asked me if I had computers in my secret clubs when I was her age. When I told her that the first IBM TRS80 computer didn't come out until I was about 10, she just stood there expressionless and said, "HUH?" Probably the same way I reacted when I asked my parents what an 8-track was back when I was about her age.


There is also a special rock "key" that they rotate around as to who is allowed the honor of taking the key home.


She hesitated a little, but decided she would share her "secret" password with me. After all, we were family and I suppose it would be okay to share her "secret" password with us. She started out with


"Girls love....." ( UH OH! You know that feeling you get when you first see that a cop is about to pull you over? Where your heart drops to your stomach and starts pounding and then all of the blood rushes to your head and you start to feel flushed? And don't tell me you don't know what I'm talking about because you've never been pulled over by a cop before! )

"Cutie" ( NOOOOOooooo! Please don't say "Boys" please don't say "Boys"! You're far too young to start noticing boys!!!! )

"Cutie" ( At this point, time was practically standing still as I was hanging on to her every word..... )

"Cutie" ( It's a little sketchy but I think my eyes were probably closed and I was saying a little prayer )

"Animals".



PHEW! You have NO idea how relieved I was to hear that.


And whatever happened to a simple password like "Lauren2000" or "Lauren7"? I'm pretty sure that "Girlslovecutiecutiecutieanimals" wouldn't even fit if it were a "real" password. And even if it did, she'd still probably need a number somewhere in there anyways.

Of course, I started laughing and she kept asking what was so funny. I wasn't about to tell her the real reason since that would just open a whole can of worms that I didn't want to deal with right now since in my eyes, she's still sweet and innocent and I'd like to keep it that way for a little while longer.


So, her "secret" club has computers and they email each other and play some kind of computer game on it as well.



So much for "Hopscotch" or "tag"?

Edited to add:
I think I started typing this a couple of days too soon. Lauren mentioned to me yesterday that there are four boys who have a crush on her. This is NOT supposed to happen until she's like what? 20? Of course, my two year old isn't supposed to learn how to crawl out of his crib either but figured that one out this week too. Just a big old week of firsts around this place!




2 comments:

Lorena said...

Ooooh...I need to see if my girls are part of this secret club. And...my boy might be one of those with a crush on her. I'll have to tell him he has some competition. We would be really good in-laws, you know...start campaigning for him, OK?

They grow up so fast!!

Mela said...

oh that's just too dang cute!!! i love hearing those types of stories.