Friday, November 09, 2007

Can the creativity gene skip a generation?

Do you think my daughter inherited my Martha Stewartish knack of creativity?


I'm thinking sadly, it may have skipped a generation.



If you can't tell from looking at the picture above, then let me explain how I came to this conclusion.


My daughter brought home from school a piece of paper with a turkey on it. She was told she needed to decorate the turkey in a disguise so that it wouldn't be recognized and eaten for Thanksgiving dinner.


Creative, Martha Stewart me, thought she should glue a piece of white material over the turkey cutting out holes for just the eyes and letting the feet poke out from the bottom as if the turkey was hiding in order to avoid being the guest of honor at a Thanksgiving feast.


The next thing I knew, a box of Cheerios was out of the cupboard. I thought she was going to have herself a bowl as a snack. But alas, they were going to be used as part of her mixed media creation.



Notice only one Cheerio is ever so slightly colored in.


Here we have the head of the turkey and its blue/green framed glasses and gobbler which would make for excellent camouflage in the wild.

Next are the shoes in disguise as paper towels painted in brightly colored purples, oranges and pinks. All of which capture the colors of fall.


And to add the finishing touches, what incognito turkey wouldn't be complete without a floral headdress to adorn its feathery tail?


And one perfectly placed star for all to see.

My version of the "Mr. Turkey" song:

Mr. Turkey, Mr. Turkey,

Are you hiding under there?

Are those Cheerios for your belly?

And material for your hair?

Mr. Turkey, Mr. Turkey,

Do you really think you won't get caught?

Cause with a disguise just like that one

You for sure will get shot.

( If anything, just to put you out of your misery )


3 comments:

shauna said...

I say both are pretty clever ideas. I would have gone with the white disguise because it would entail little supervision. But, heck, if she can come with something like that on her own and do it by herself, I'd say YES YES YES.

It is super colorful, I don't think he'll be eaten ever.

Lorena said...

Yeah, I definitely observe and supervise this one. Go and enjoy the bulletin board that it is going to be placed on. Someone you know and loved did it!

AZ Karen said...

Wow...she's a very creative kid. And you win the nice mom prize for unlimited access to all 'mixed media' items.

And your song was perfect!