Friday, November 02, 2007

Halloween 2007

Is it just me or is Halloween night nothing but chaos?
.

I would almost prefer going through security at the airport with four kids, two strollers, six back backs, a laptop, making sure the kids take off their shoes while digging for the quart size bags holding 3 oz bottles of liquids and/or gels.

Almost.


After the last child comes home from school it's almost pure torture to try and get them to focus long enough to get their homework done right before a semi-nutritious hot dog dinner so that they can put on their costumes and go mooching for candy.

There's generally make-up that needs to be put on or touched up, Velcro and snaps that need adjusted, clothes that need to have the smeared candy leftovers from the school party cleaned off, and oh yeah......forgot about the trick-or-treat bags. Gotta dig those out of the closet.

Then there's always the one child who throws a fit about their costume five minutes prior to heading out. Notice Erik in the background flipping his noodle over wanting to be a turtle now instead of a dinosaur.

But give him a treat and that usually does the trick.
















Then there was the costume that didn't get much thought until it was too late. Is it a butterfly? Or a fairy? Do fairies wear headbands with antennas? I'm thinking it's a butterfly. But she wants to be a fairy. So we shall call you.....a Butterfly Fairy Princess. Daughter responds, "Oh! Like from Fairytopia!"

Yeah. Just like that.............






Jack was a Ninja Turtle. Pretty self-explanatory.







Ian was the token baby (so the parents have an excuse to get a bag of candy) and went as a ferocious, drooling, snot-running-down-his-face, get-me-the-heck-out-of-this-sweaty-thing tiger.

















The kids usually have more fun passing out the candy than trick or treating themselves. Our house was a hit, by the way, since we were passing out real life size bags of Hershey's Kissables seeing that we picked up a few gazillion on our Disney trip. It was fun hearing the kids say, "No WAY!" "Cool!"


I'm just glad to be rid of them.

And of course, after the kids got home, and looted their stash, then went to bed......... Mom took the good stuff out and saved them for herself in her secret hiding place. MmmmWAaaaHAhahahaha!

I am evil. I know.

Edited to add: Lauren just came home from school today and told me that she asked her teacher what she would be for Halloween if tomorrow was Halloween again ( at least that's the story I'm hearing from a seven year old so it might be a little skewed ). She said her teacher would go as a "Nippy".

A Nippy? What's a Nippy?

She said, "You know. People who lived like 60 years ago......or maybe a 1000 years ago and dressed kind of funny?"

You mean, HIPPY? Like from the '60's?

"Yeah. Hippy".

4 comments:

Lorena said...

Oh, that moment between school and trick-or-treating...we just call it "Lost Cause". That's why we insist homework packets be done by Tuesday.

Lauren tried to explain to me what she was when I went into the classroom. I was confused from her explanation.

I can't believe we missed your full-size Kissables! That's Dane's favorite treat...his birthday was yesterday...hint, hint!

Ms. Harmon wore a tie-dye shirt, hence the hippy...I think?

shauna said...

We are the lucky family that got to see the darling children and your awesome ride!!!

My mommy stash is gone already, will you share with me?

Mom not Mum (Sandy) said...

We did all of our trick or treating the Friday before. On Halloween night we kept the lights off and played "stay away from the windows and be very quiet when someone knocks." LOL

AZ Karen said...

I hate that time of day on Halloween, too. There's nothing productive happening then.

I love the secret stash...enjoy it while you can. My kids are totally on to me. I can sometimes still swipe a bar here or there from Hannah, but Rachel has a photographic memory or something.