Monday, February 13, 2006

For the love of a song!

Most couples I know have "a song".

It's usually something full of cheese like "You Are So Beautiful" or "Tonight, I Celebrate My Love." But, at least they have a song. My husband and I don't.

We don't even have some '80's hair band monster ballad like "When I See You Smile" or "Is This Love".

I'm not sure why we don't. We went to enough church dances while we were dating, you'd think we would. It didn't really even phase me until one night when we played a get-to-know-you game with some other couples and one of the questions was, "What is 'your song'?" I remember feeling ashamed to have to admit that we didn't have one. GASP! Every couple has 'a song'! I had songs for the guys I dated in high school. Naturally, something by Journey or Styx. I even know of some ex-couples who have a "break up" song like the popular anthem, "I Will Survive." So, I had to make one up on the spur of the moment. There was just too much pressure. So I came up with "500 Miles". Not exactly what you would call a romantic song, but it had sentimental meaning. I thought of it because it was a song that a band was playing as we were walking down Mill Ave. in downtown Tempe one night. The band was really good and I remember we got us some hot chocolate and sat and listened to them play for most of the night. It seemed like a logical choice and I was pretty excited at the prospect of actually being able to reply "of course we have a song!"

Evidently, that was my husband's and an ex-girlfriend's song. Of all the %$#&* songs it had to be THAT one!?!

So then I looked up the words to the song. They actually seemed ironically fitting and so maybe, just maybe, I can convince my husband to make "500 Miles" our song. If anything, just to put me out of my misery!

When I wake up yeah I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who wakes up next to you.
When I go out yeah I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who goes along with you.

When I'm working yes I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who's working hard for you.
And when the money comes in for the work I'll do
I'll pass almost every penny on to you.

When I come home yeah I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who comes back home to you.
And if I grow old well I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man who's growing old with you.

When I'm lonely yes I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the man whose lonely without you.
When I'm dreaming yes I know I'm gonna dream
Dream about the time when I'm with you.

Just don't try and convince me that every couple has "A movie" too. That's just way too much gouda for me to handle!

Happy Valentine's Day honey!



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! 500 Miles is NOT "the song" I had with an ex-girlfriend! I did used to dance with this girl to 500 Miles, but it's a fast song and I never kissed her. And I obviously didn't marry her.

By the way, 500 Miles is sung by The Proclaimers, but the band we heard on Mill Ave was The Scones (they were Scottish, like The Proclaimers). I especially liked the guy who did the Prince impersonation on the chorus.

On behalf of my DW, I now officially claim 500 Miles by The Scones (and even the more traditional version by The Proclaimers) as OUR SONG.

And when I'm dreaming, yes I know I'm gonna dream, dream about the time when I'm with you.

I Love You. Happy Valentine's Day.

emlouisa said...

Aw, you guys are too cute.

Happy Valentines Day!

Rachelle said...

I love that song! And your dh's reply is cute!

ShelahBooksIt said...

what about "when I get drunk, yeah you know I'm gonna be, I'm gonna be that man who's havering to you"?

and btw, what does havering mean?

lackrik said...

yeah....left that part out. lol The idea of getting drunk and throwing up together isn't my idea of "romantic".

Linsey Farley Jameson said...

Awww... Cute!!! Good song, and good call leaving out the drunk part!!!LOL!

Your cosa MOFstra worked!!

Heather said...

My husband and I don't have a song either. I tried to "make" one be our song, but it didn't stick. lol

And your dh's reply was cute!

Anonymous said...

haver

\Ha"ver\, v. i. [Etymol. uncertain.] To maunder; to talk foolishly; to chatter; to babble drunkenly. [Scot.]