Sunday, February 19, 2006

My Olympic size commentary


Ahhh. The Olympics. A time for countries around the world to come together all in the name of good, clean competition and fun. And if winning a medal or breaking a World Record happens in the process, that's an added bonus.

Speaking of medals...I'm not sure if it's a gold medal or the Greatest Solid Gold Hits CD.

And speaking of greatest hits..... I think it's time for a commercial break:



((Video clip is showing Lindsey Jacobellis on her snowboarding cross medal race))

Announcer says:

Cost of snowboard: $500.00
Cost of lift tickets to train for the 2006 Olympics: $5000.00
Cost of hot-dogging in the medal round race while 3 seconds ahead and falling only to be passed by a Swiss: priceless





Now back to our regularly scheduled blog....


Is it just me or are our peeps just not represent'n this year? I mean, seriously? No wonder "American Idol" is kicking the snot out of the Olympics' ratings. I personally would much rather watch amateur Idol wannabes over some of the arrogant athletes we have representing the good 'ol US of A. Heck, I'll even admit to watching "Dancing with the Stars". Atleast they've gotten some better scores.


I will also admit to getting into watching curling. I'll be honest. I mostly started to watch it because it came on right after my "Days Of Our Lives". I still don't really know the rules, but I do know that watching it gives me incentive to sweep my floors. So my clean tile is a perfect "10".


Every Olympics has to have a controversy too. At first, I thought is was the great debate over how we should pronounce the location of the Olympics. Is it "Torino" or "Turin"? Frankly, I still don't have a clue.

But sure enough, that controversy seemed minor compared to the ones that lie ahead......


Where do I even start? There seem to have been more flops than shows on the WB channel.

First we have Bode "Miller Lite" Miller. I mean, sure he's a piece of eye candy, but good looks won't get you down a mountain if you have a hang-over from the night before
. Maybe he could hide it because it was in one of those swishing from side-to-side events so nobody would even notice? His ego was the size of the motorhome he came in on. The point is, I don't think he medalled in a single race. So much for that Wheaties contract.


And then there's the train wreck called Johnny Weir. I saw the touchy-feely-tug-at-your-heartstrings interview NBC showed with him right before he performed his short program at Nationals. He said something about how "Republicans don't like me blah blah blah" and "people talk about me because I'm different blah blah blah." I'm thinking, "People? What people? I've never even heard of you until this very moment." Besides that, what does a Republican have to do with whether he lands a Salchow or triple lutz? He was so full of himself that I secretly hoped that my mojo would cause him to fall.....not so much literally, but fall from the imaginary pedestal he thought everyone had him on. He ended up in 6th place overall. Must have been that vast, right-wing conspiracy mojo.....


There's Apollo "OH NO!" Ohno. I guess he has a Gold, Silver and now a Bronze to add to his collection. I don't know. It just didn't seem like he was really trying all that hard to win. It just wasn't like I remembered when I watched him skate in Salt Lake City.

Time for another commercial break:


((Footage of Italian Ice Dancers and their fall.....Next shot is of the female giving a stare down to her partner ))


Caption reads: "Wanna get away?"



And we're back....

I am really bummed that Sasha Cohen didn't do better in her long program.
And to miss the first two jumps! OUCH! I felt bad for her. But, I'm glad she got a silver. I was rooting for Emily Hughes too especially since her trip there was so last minute.

Aside from all of the controversy and disappointments, there's always good stories that come from the Olympics too. Joey Cheek donated both his gold and silver medal bonuses, a total of $40,000 to "Right-to-play" an athlete-driven humanitarian organization.

Now there's a real champion.


6 comments:

emlouisa said...

ROFL!!!! You are too funny.

Anonymous said...

Yeah but Bode Miller has been promoting with Nike that kids should play sports, even though the suck. His olumpic (sic) performance is just playing into the "kids who suck should still play sports" marketing campain.

Lei said...

You wrote that very well Lisa! Seriously - more interesting than the real thing has been for me!

Linsey Farley Jameson said...

I LOVED that post. If Bode Miller doesnt fall off the face of the earth soon, I will never watch alpine skiing ever again.

smart mama said...

nice recap-- love joey cheek- take him over bode anyday (and he wins)

Heather said...

You are a REALLy good writer....I love reading your stuff!